Wrinkles are a subtle hint that you’ve been around the block and have the scars to prove it. That might sound harsh, but consider the popularity of skin care products and facial moisturizers and it’s evident that consumers want to get rid of wrinkles, and prevent them when possible.
That’s easier said than done. Wrinkles form when repetitive facial movements like squinting combine with the lost collagen production that occurs with age. Sun damage can also cause wrinkles, and while that’s not a bad thing, wrinkles are a tell-tale sign of age and can make you look, well, older.
How can you get rid of wrinkles? Sometimes you can’t. But you can minimize the appearance of wrinkles and texture of the skin, with good skin care and healthy habits. Better yet, you can prevent wrinkles from forming in the first place with a little self-awareness, and the tips you’ll find in this article.
9 Things to Remember
- Sleep On Your Back – Sleep lines are wrinkles that form while you sleep that remain on your face during the day. Sleep on your side and you’re prone to wrinkles on your cheeks and chin. Sleep on your face and you’re vulnerable to wrinkles above your eyebrows. Your best bet? Sleep on your back.
- Eat Oily Fish – The benefits of the fatty acid omega-3 don’t just apply to your mental health, they also extend to your skin. Cold-water, oily fish like salmon and herring keep skin plump and can prevent wrinkles from forming. Also try mackerel or sardines.
- Don’t Squint – When you squint, you strain your facial muscles, which can form wrinkles over time. Get reading glasses if needed, and invest in a good pair of sun glasses to prevent sun damage and prevent further squinting.
- Use Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHA) – These are natural fruit acids available in topical form that shed dead skin cells and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, especially around the eyes. In high concentrations, AHAs might stimulate collagen production.
- Switch Coffee for Cocoa – Chocolate lovers rejoice! A 2006 study links cocoa to two flavenols, epicatchin and catechin, that protect skin from the sun, improve circulation and leave skin looking vibrant and smooth. Just be sure to choose dark chocolate, for its higher levels of flavenols and to avoid those extra calories.
- Be Gentle to Your Face – Hot water zaps the natural facial oils that prevent wrinkles, and the same goes for over-washing. Of course you should wash your face, but don’t over do it. Use a facial cleanser instead of soap. Sprinkle water, don’t rub it on, and never use a body soap or moisturizer on your face.
- Use a Topical Vitamin C – One of the more potent antioxidants, vitamin C can increase production of collagen and protect the face from UVA and UVB ray damage from the sun, reduce inflammation and improve pigmentation. Of the various forms of topical vitamin C, L-ascorbic acid appears to work best.
- Eat Soy – Soy may protect against and reduce damage from the sun, improve the skin’s structure and keep skin taut. There is a controversy, however. Soy is believed to be a goitrogene, i.e. a substance that may interfere with your thyroid function. Use products made of fermented soy. Asian women who consume high amounts of fermented soy products, seem not to have any thyroid problems.
- Protect from Direct Sun – Avoid the sun between 10AM and 4PM when possible, and wear a sunscreen of at least SPF 15 when you can’t.
Finally, remember the basics of good skin care, as they’ll further compliment your goal to get rid of wrinkles. Don’t smoke, and moisturize often. Be vigilant, and guard your skin. With time and a little luck you’ll rid of wrinkles, and look younger for it.
Buy the best natural skincare products you can afford! When you turn 50 something no one will remember that you used to wear expensive shoes at 25, but everybody will be able to see that you invested in the health and beauty of your skin. This is one investment that really pays!
Article courtesy of Natural Health Source
*This information is for educational purpose only. It is not meant to diagnose or cure a disease.