According to Greek myth, oregano was a beloved and cherished herb of the goddess Aphrodite. She grew it in plentiful amounts in her garden on Mount Olympus. Given this history, it’s no surprise that oregano has been studied intensely and its benefits for human health are well known. It’s potency is due to the active compound in oregano — carvacrol.
Oregano oil is a potent concentration of the herb and can be applied in various ways - directly on the skin or internally. Here are 8 of the many powerful ways oregano oil can benefit the body.
1. Cold Sores - Cold sores are typically caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus. Although carvacrol isn’t a cure for herpes or cold sores, it has been shown to have some activity against the microbes that cause flare ups. A recent study suggests that carvacrol can kill up to 90% of herpes simplex type 1 viruses within an hour.
2. Food Poisoning - Undercooked food is a haven for the toxic organisms that can really do a number on your system. Some research has found that these organisms may be inhibited by the active chemical compound in oregano oil.
3. Muscle Discomfort - Oregano itself is tremendously soothing and research shows that oregano oil may be helpful for reducing discomfort in joints, muscles, and bones. Best of all, it doesn’t work like opioids and doesn’t have addictive tendencies.
4. Promoting Intestinal Balance - Keeping a proper balance of bacteria in your intestines is crucial for supporting good health. A healthy colony of intestinal flora is necessary for proper digestion and it defends against sickness. Good bacteria also supports the immune system and may be helpful for balancing mood. Carvacrol promotes gut health by creating an appropriate balance of good bacteria vs. bad bacteria.
5. Bone and Joint Discomfort - Redness from irritation is one of the main contributors to arthritis, a painful condition that targets one or more joints throughout the body. Science is moving swiftly to discover how oregano affects arthritis but preliminary studies suggest that carvacrol may hold some promise for easing the discomfort associated with arthritis.
6. Harmful Organisms - If you travel to underdeveloped areas of the world, you may be exposed to organisms that can wreak havoc on your health. Avoiding the water may not be enough to completely protect you either. Even harmful organisms in your natural environment carry a high infection risk, especially if the body is already in poor health. Research has shown that carvacrol may be able to fight some of these invaders. Bring your oregano oil while traveling!
7. Yeast Infections - Carvacrol is to fungus what Raid is to cockroaches. Research shows that plants containing this compound are effective in fighting candida.
8. Liver Toxicity - Toxins exist in our water, food, and even the air we breathe. The ever-present barrage of toxins in our environment is extraordinary, and the burden it places on our liver is equally mind boggling. Carvacrol may help detox the liver, our primary detoxifying organ. Using this herb during a regular detox regimen may be helpful for boosting the detoxifying process.
There’s a few options for oregano oil on the market, Global Healing Center offers a really nice organic blend of oregano oil. Have you tried it? What are your experiences? Leave a comment and let us know.
By Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM
*This information is for educational purposes only. It is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.